Sunday, August 8, 2010

Crafty Corner Spotlight- Needle vs Thread

Kirrily from Needle vs Thread will be joining us at our August market. Here's a bit more info on what makes her tick...



How long have you been crafting?
Unofficially forever! Officially I started making bags to sell in 2006.
Mum got sick of me asking to borrow her sewing machine to alter clothes, so she bought me one and I haven't looked back. I still have the first bag I made then and I love it, but I'm happy to say that my technique has improved immensely since I made it! I hadn't sewn much since Year 8 home economics class, but I found it's like riding a bike and all came back to me pretty quickly.

What do you love about crafting?
Ohhh, what is not to love?! I get to be my own boss and set my own schedule! I love fabric. I love the sound of the needle piercing though it as I sew, and that snippy sound my scissors make. I particularly love the challenge of turning a rough sketch into a pattern and then a finished 3-dimensional object. I love shiny metal handbag hardware and that I get to spend a lot of time hitting things with hammers. And I love when people see my work and tell me that is is beautiful, or when I see someone with something I have made!

What new crafts have you tried? What new crafts are on your "to-do list"?
It has been a while since I tried something completely new, but recently I've been trying to incorporate leather into my work. It is beautiful stuff but incredibly unforgiving - a stitch in the wrong place and you can have a needle mark that ruins a whole piece! There's a lot to learn about that particular material, but like everything, it's a fun learning process.
My to-do list is currently longer than I can manage, so I'm sticking to what I do best for now! The one thing I have always wanted to try was silversmithing - one day, one day!


What do you do when you're not crafting? Your hobbies etc?
Oh that is a tough one to answer because I turned my hobby into a job!

So now I separate it into work sewing and sewing for fun. Otherwise I like coffee with friends, watching old movies, hanging out with my dog and I spend way too much time on the internet.


What new goodies can we expect at Hide & Seek Market?
I'm really looking forward to my first Hide & Seek Market! I am hoping to have a very limited run of vinyl messenger bags ready in time. It isn't a material I usually use, but I have some left over from a custom job and don't want it to go to waste - plus, it looks great in this style of bag. Besides that, there will be new wallets, new wrist cuffs, a new handbag or two and lots of other girly things!

No comments:

Post a Comment